After my 8 mile run on Saturday, I totally psyched myself out. I started asking myself why I am putting myself through this. Running is HARD!! Since then I have lost my focus. I have lost sight of my goal. Part of the problem is that after my 8 mile run (which is, like, 800 calories burned) I came home and weighed myself and I had GAINED 2 pounds. HUH? How does that happen? Anyway, I have totally hit my plateau and have not lost any weight since that Saturday.
So, I am posing this question to you other runners/ exercisers/ bikers/ swimmers--I know you're all out there-- What do you say to yourself to keep going? Maybe your motivation will help strengthen mine somehow. I really need it right now!!
Typical Friday
1 week ago






9 comments:
I don't know if I can "motivate" but I can certainly relate! Marty and I have been exercising since January - he has lost almost 60 pounds! Me..... I've lost 30 - but have been at this same weight for the last 2-3 months..... even though I'm still exercising as faithfully as Marty. So I understand how frustrating it is! However, someone at work said to me today "Wow - you're looking really good!!!" So..... that will get me back to the gym tonight..... If nothing else... how much BETTER do you feel now - than you did 6 months ago? That is what keeps me going! Hang in there..... You're looking great!
I'm no help but can relate as well. 8 miles is impressive! With me it's always been about 10% exercise and about 90% what goes in my mouth....see no help, not what you wanted to hear...it's not like that with most people either so just keep going. You're doing great.
I think everyone is going to relate to this one! How many of us are at that plateau right now?! I have so much opinion on this one. I agree with nora that weight loss is 90% what goes into the mouth. Since you are running so much, you need protein. Nuts are great for this. As far as weighing 2 more pounds after you ran...NEVER weigh yourself after a run or a workout! You'll always weigh more. I don't have a scientific explanation for it...I just know from experience. I think weighing yourself once a week is plenty.
As far as motivation...all I can say is the same thing happened to me. I started walking/running/excercising about 4 years ago. I weigh pretty much the same as when I started. This really frustrated me at first when I just started exercising TO lose weight. But I started realizing this was what was good for my body. I feel so much better, and I know I am taking care of my body. I have moved to a healthier me. You will find lots of skinny people that are not healthy at all. I don't know if this helped or hurt...but I think you have to get to that point where you are not doing it for a number on the scale, but for you and your health and well-being. You are worth it! And you HAVE TO keep running because some day, when I am not pregnan, and you're not either, I think it would be fun to run together:)
Brandi, have you taken your measurements? Since I started working out more, I have gained about 8 lbs, but at the beginning I could tell my pants were fitting better and I felt like I was getting more toned. Don't give up! Are we doing a long run together tomorrow? 9 miles! We can push each other through it.
My only advice would be to not even have a scale. I got rid of mine after I had Cooper and was getting on it too many times a day!! How to get motivated to go running again?? Change around your pump up songs you run too. Add some new favorite songs so your mind is not wandering and thinking 'why in the heck am i doing this?'. I love music so that is what keeps me going. New and energetic music!! GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, Julie--it's nice to hear other success stories! Good work!
Nora, I hear you!! Food is 90% of the battle for me too.
Emily, you are awesome! Too bad that at the time you have your baby, I'll probably be wanting to get pregnant. It might be awhile before we get to go on running together. I would love to, though.
After baby #3 I am going to train for a marathon. Are you up for it?
Marisa, when I think of a self-motivator, you are it! I wish I could stay positive like you.
Brittney--I just changed my ipod songs today. We'll see if that makes a difference. Give me some more song suggestions!!
Brandi, I'm late on this, sorry. I know exactly how you feel! Weight loss started out as being my goal for all the exercise changes that I've made in the last few years, but I've had to modify it so that I have some other reasons as well. Doing these events and such gives the feeling of accomplishment like nothing else and face it, you get some bragging rights, LOL.
Check out this article from the Deseret News - this guy (a regular columnist)weighed over 350 and over the years has lost weight and has started doing triathalons. He has some interesting thoughts about keeping going.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700235795,00.html
Running IS hard, like you said, but you know what? YOU can do hard things. You can. Just keep telling yourself that.
When I was going up this unbelieveable 2+ mile hill (on the bike), I thought I was going to die. I was literally praying for the strength to make it. I told Heavenly Father that I needed a push from behind and could He please send my two babies to help their Mama over that hill. I got the help and the strength that I needed - so don't be afraid to ask.
I think you're amazing - keep this up. You have lots of people cheering you on!!
Try something new! I am not kidding...if it isn't working in that amount of time it's time to move on to something else! I don't know if you have heard of this exercise series called P90X...buy it...it's about 12 DVD's and well worth the money. I guarantee you will loose the weight. I tried everything after Rylan was born and nothing seemed to work for me. I feel like I have always been a fit person and tried to eat right then my brother suggested this exercise routine and I lost 15 pounds in 2 months and I have kept it off. I don't mean for this to be a wierdo testimonial of it...but seriously, I know what you are going through!!! Good luck!
I may try it after my half marathon. I've committed (and paid) for the race, so I have to see it through.
Post a Comment