I keep thinking of this experience that happened when I was in the 6th grade. Growing up, my parents always told me that I could do anything if I worked hard enough. At the beginning of the year I decided to put that to the test. Our elementary school was participating in the Presidential Fitness program. There were certain physical exercises for each age group such as a timed mile, push ups, etc. Then, based on how well you did at each activity, you would get an award (a piece of paper saying congratulations) for Presidential, National, or just Participant. I wanted the Presidential! The requirements for my age group were: 45 curl ups in 1 minute, shuttle run in 10 seconds, 20 push ups, 2 pull ups, some sort of flexibility test, and run a mile in 8 1/2 minutes.
To prepare for the testing our teacher had us practice some things during gym, but the rest was up to us. I was determined, so being the nerd that I am, I ran the mile during my recess. I eventually had 2 or 3 others ask to run with me, too, so I guess I wasn't that uncool. I practiced any chance I got. Eventually I could do most of the requirements, no problem.
When it came time to test, I passed everything with flying colors. I was the only girl in the whole school who would be getting the Presidential award. The last test was the sit ups. Sadly, I missed the requirement by 2 sit ups. I asked the teacher if I could test again, but she wouldn't let me. I didn't qualify for the award.
I was completely heart broken. I thought that if I wanted something and worked hard enough for it that I would reach my goal. I think I even said to myself that I'd never get my hopes up like that again. That was hard on my 12 year old ego.
Anyway, the reason this has been on my mind is that it has affected the way I think about myself throughout my life. I had more disappointments in High School, and my thoughts always went back to this time in 6th grade. In my mind, I couldn't accomplish any goal that I set my mind to, so why try?
This curse of mine has followed me into my adult life and I am still plagued by that thinking. There are many things that I've worked hard at, but that haven't worked in my favor. The reason I'm sharing this is because I've realized something. You can reach any goal you set for yourself if you work hard enough. That experience in 6th grade led me to believe that I had worked as hard as I could to get that award, but I didn't reach it. Looking back, I don't think that I ever practiced the curl ups. I just thought that I'd be able to do that one easily. There was still more work that I could have done.
Looking back at the award--what a silly thing! All I would have received is a piece of paper saying that I reached the Presidential fitness requirements. I probably wouldn't even have the paper still. It did teach me to set goals, to follow through, and that exercise can be fun. My goals now are much loftier, and I know that I will have to stretch myself every day to become the person that I want to be, but my rewards will be so much better than a piece of paper.
Is It Possible?
3 days ago






6 comments:
Well, you just won the "Marisa Award", your certificate will be mailed to you.
amen, brandi! well said :) i like homer j. simpson, "you tried and you failed, lesson is.. never try." i think about that a lot and i think i should probably stop listening to him... h aah aha!
Wow....being your friend ever since the sixth grade I had no idea...I think your life took a change for laziness when you became friends with me to be honest..
Wow girl you should be a motivational speaker or something. It reminds me of a quote that I love.... it goes something like..."Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
How do you remember that kind of stuff?! As I was reading this, I realized that as a parent, I need to remember also that it is just a piece of paper. Sometimes we as parents get caught up in wanting our kids to get every certificate there is, but in the end, you are right. It is just a piece of paper, and what are we doing to their self-esteem in the mean time if that is all we look at? The schools out here have award ceremony after award ceremony celebrating mediocrity, and I am kinda getting sick of it! Anyways, those are my thoughts:) Keep up the bloggging!
I have always admired the hundreds of things you do and how willing you are to do new things! I can't imagine you "failing" at anything. You are an amazing person!
Post a Comment