Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Call to Action

Tonight I have been going over the talk given by Sister Beck in the 1st session of General Conference on Sunday. In the LDS blogging community, there has been some controversy regarding her talk, and I would like to give my opinion.

I truly believe that Sister Beck's talk was more of a call to action. I am sure that there would be no controversy if she didn't poke at some sore spots that need to be changed in our homes and families. For me, I felt that I was doing well in some of the areas that she talked about, but I definitely need work in others. That is what conference is for! It is a chance for us to evaluate our lives, and see what needs to be changed. I personally felt a resolve to try harder in this important role as a Mother. She was giving us direction, and helping us to see what we need to do to raise our children with no regrets. I believe it was pure inspiration.

She talked about how the role of Motherhood requires more vigilance. It is not a job, but a responsibility. How many mistakes could we prevent if we are more vigilant with what our children are watching on TV, what they are doing daily, and what they are learning. She asked us to do less. Permit less media, less distraction, and live on less so that we could spend more time learning, talking, laughing, and praying with our families. How pertinent is that to our day? I allow more TV and computer games than I should, and again, this was a call to action for me. When my children grow up, they will want to spend more time away from home. I realize that they will be involved in sports, and other extra-curricular activities, but I need to help them to be selective about the activities they choose, and also to value the time they spend at home. And that is where her words on being a homemaker come in. She did NOT say housekeeper. She said homemaker. You can be a homemaker whether you work outside of the home, or whatever the circumstance may be. She did say that a homemaker is a nurturer. They create a climate for growth by keeping an orderly home. I could not agree with this more. Having order promotes spiritual growth. It gives stability to a child.

I love this quote from Sister Beck, "Home is where women have the most power and influence." That quote has been on my mind. Where else in the world will we hear words like those? Many people in our day and age demean motherhood. The world tells us that women belong in the workplace. That motherhood is a chore and not valuable. That we can achieve more from having a career. That our children will be okay without our vigilance. This is not true! We are needed at home! If we are not teaching our children, who is? She mentioned a young man who said that he did not learn anything at church that his mother had not already taught him. Our children need our direction and influence more today than ever before.

I want to be "a woman who knows." I am not there yet, but I am striving for that every day. It is not easy. If it were easy, I would not become the woman that I hope to be. It stretches me and challenges me. These two little lives that I am responsible for are priceless. They are entrusted in my care and I cannot be casual with the way that I raise them. I hope that Sister Beck's words struck many of you as they did me. It is, as I said, a call to action. A challenge to take our role a step further and do more.

18 comments:

Brent's Family said...

Brandi,
I am very impressed with your ability to listen and apply the principles you hear into your life. It is always easier to listen to conference or Church leaders and say.. Ya I know , but I do all this other stuff very well..
You have alot of wisdom!
An organized, structured home allows time for the spirit to guide your life!!
Love, Dad

Jill said...

I didn't know that it had even been a 'hot topic'. I really enjoyed her talk as well - & I really liked reading your thoughts on it. I know I'm not a mom yet, but it is important to me to set a good spirit in the home, & to try to keep the focus on the right things. What a challenge! But it really is the most important challenge to take on.
Thanks for sharing Brandi!

Julie said...

I'm surprised that there would be "any controversy" over this talk. I found it to be very uplifting - and like you- it made me evaluate where I am - and what I need to improve on! It was a call to action - and I'm grateful for it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Julie B.

Brandi said...

I typed in Sister Beck's talk on google and everything that came up was negative! I couldn't believe it either.

dishes and laundry said...

Beautiful post, Brandi! I too agreed with everything she said in the talk. I know that in the home, making things run smoothly and teaching and guiding my kids, and just having them know that I am here (at the computer, maybe, but here)is the most valuable place I can be.

My Mom called me on Sunday and we talked about the talk, wondering if it was going to be a hot spot of discontent. Too bad. I hoped people wouldn't take offense, but it sounds like they are. Perhaps the ones who are serious upset have had their own doubts about what they are doing or not doing. It's so hard to "make it" on one income, and once you take the step of having two incomes, it's so hard to go back. I really feel for young couples.

I wonder if the talk could also have been for the men - the ones who pressure their wives to work or work more, thinking of the money, more than the blessings of having a wife and mother who can stay home. The burden of providing for a family, having a mortgage, having a giant savings account, 401k, all of it is overwhelming - and often it seems that money would be the answer to all the stress, the worry and the problems. I don't envy men.

Anyway, thanks for your post!

Julie said...

Wow - I guess the guilty taketh the truth to be hard....?

Timothy & Kimberly Pettitt said...

I'm speachless...what a statement! Well put! I also had no idea this was a hot topic. I LOVED this talk and felt exactly the same way you did! I remember a girl in our old ward said something about this similar topic in RS. She said that the world make women think they aren't worth anything unless they are bringing home a paycheck...but what better thing to look at than a mother holding a child. That's worth more than gold!! Mothers are so important...why else would the home be talked about so much in conference...it's because satan is targeting the home and mothers!! Thank you so much for your thoughts, Brandi...you are an inspiration!
Kimberly

emily salway said...

Amen, sister!! I didn't realize anything had come from that talk...of course I am WAY out here IN THE MISSION FIELD. (HaHaHa) I agree with everything you said. I look at conference as inspiration that I need in my life. So way to stand up and let your voice be heard.

Lila said...

Brandy,

Again I say, "well said!" I loved Sister Beck's General Releif Society Broadcast talk as well as her conference talk which were almost one and the same. I couldn't agree with you more; her talk was beautiful and inspiring on so many levels. I wasn't aware that it was an issue either but I appreciate that you would take action to stand up for your values in deffending these truths. Thank you for the post.

Lila said...

Have you seen this one?

The Church-published manual contains a chapter on "The Purpose and Importance of General Conference" and includes this comment from President Spencer W. Kimball:


"Let no arrogant, self-assured, self-styled intellectual discard the truths there taught and the testimonies there borne, nor argue with the messages and instructions there given." (Living Prophets for a Living Church, 1974, p.92.)

He continues:


"I hope you will get your copy of the [Ensign] and underline the pertinent thoughts and keep it with you for continual reference. No text or volume outside the standard works of the Church should have such a prominent place in your personal library shelves." (Ibid.)

Brandi said...

Lila,
That is an awesome quote! That's exactly what I wanted to say, but it holds more weight when it comes from a prophet.

Wendy,
I agree that this talk could be a reminder for the husbands out there. Many women feel pressure from their husbands to work more. Great points!

Jody said...

Amen to you ladies! I think I could name on one hand or less the times in the Book of Mormon when any representative of the Lord has shared the message the Lord required them share and weren't persecuted or didn't offend someone...that just sadly seems to be the way it will be for now. However, I agree that it's so unfortunate for those who are offended because I am certain Sis. Beck didn't want to offend. It was a call to action for all (offended or not). So then it becomes completely personal on what you do/are able to do with the call. I think the best thing one could do if they aren't 100% on board with something said in conference would be to look to the scriptures and hit your knees. If you really have/want the faith it will take to make it through the days to come; then pray and let the Lord help you through it. He will. But you will certainly get no where by hardening your heart against something said by one in conference. When we harden our hearts we can't learn anything new by the spirit, but if we take it all in and learn - the Lord will keep blessing us with knowledge. I for one want to take the challenge even if it means completely bumbling my way through it. Why not try my hardest; it's only my children & prosperity she's talking about! (Sarcastic)

I've worked full time and been a mom and I've stayed home and been a mom. I know I can do both & do a good job at both...BUT...I know it's easier for me PERSONALLY to find the time I need to feed ME spiritually when I have extra time at home to do that, and I PERSONALLY really struggled to keep up on that spiritual time when I was working 40 hours a week...For me, when I am feeling spiritually lifted, it's so much easier to lift my family also. (sorry long comment)

Lindsay said...

I am so grateful you wrote such a thoughtful response to all of the controversy. I have read and heard too much about her "uninspired" talk. Living in an area where most moms work and are self-proclaimed feminists, it is so hard to stick to what I know is true.

Being a happy stay at home mother of two boys I have felt so unimportant, unproductive and uniteresting. I know that satan makes me feel this way to distract me from doing my best at what is most important right now, which is being a wife and mother.

Sister Beck's talk was like a light for me. I suddenly don't care what my friends out here think of my situation. I know that I am following the prophet and ultimately the Lord. It is so comforting to know that there are others who feel the same way I do. Thank You!!

Anonymous said...

I knew I married you for all the right reasons! How grateful I am that you are a woman of faith that finds joy in raising her children. (and husband) I love you baby and respect your roll as Mother and wife. Thank you for all you do to make this house run and function. Love Me

Nora Mair said...

Right on Brandi
This was my favorite talk and I've already printed it out We're going to discuss it and Elder Oaks (Good Better Best) talk in Sunday school on Sunday. Can't wait!
You are very good at explaining your thoughts and feelings. What a talent.

Camie said...

I agree with all that has already been said. I truly enjoyed your insight and words. You do have a gift of writing and I appreciated your inspiring and inlighting(is that even a word??)words.
Being a working mom- well nine months out of the year- and being on both sides of the fence, I can honestly say that no greater joy can come than that from raising your children. The role of motherhood is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done. I often joke with Jake that it easier to work than to stay at home. I have so much respect and admiration for women who choose to teach their chilren in truth and righteousness. There truly is no other more noble calling than motherhood. As the quote goes "No other success can compenstate for failure in the home". Thank you Brandi!

Unknown said...

I can't believe there has been controversy over it! I appreciate your thoughts, so well put. I can't wait to re-read it, or download it to my ipod.

Thanks!
Marisa

Jen Bird said...

Just like a few people said, I had no idea that was a hot topic. I just really enjoyed the talk myself and was very inspired by it! You had a lot of wonderful points!! I need to re read the talk again...good reminder!