Thursday, September 20, 2007

I am a "true" Mother now!

Strawberries were on sale at Macey's this week at $9.95 per palet. I decided to attempt once again to make Grandma Judy's jam. The last time I tried, the jam didn't get eaten at all because it was NOT like Mom's or Grandma's. This was 3 years ago, and I have yet to try again.

So, I began the process, and Hayden helped all along the way (no pictures because this all had to be done in an hour and a half during Maya's nap). It's funny, but I really was nervous that all of this work would not be good enough and my jam would not measure up--again! When all was said and done, I had about 40 containers of jam. (Different sizes) I guess that is what I am going to give out for Neighbor gifts this Christmas because there is no way we can eat that much! Especially if it doesn't taste like Judy's!

The next morning, I decided to make everyone toast with the jam, so that everyone could try it out. After one taste, my husband threw his arms around me, and spun me around the room and said, "That's it! You've done it!" It was a very dramatic moment. He then said, "You've just gone up 10 notches on your motherhood scale!" Wow! I was not expecting that reaction, but I'll take it. Both the kids loved the toast and it has been toast for breakfast every morning since.

I was having a conversation with my neighbor about this same kind of thing. Living up to our mother in laws. Now, my neighbor is the best cook that I've ever met, but she said that finally this past year her husband told her that he now prefers her food over his mom's. I hope that my husband will say that to me some day. Right now he prefers a lot of people's food to mine, so it may take awhile.

But, I can say, I made jam just as good as Judy's! YES!

8 comments:

Jake & Hillary said...

Way to go, that is so awesome. So far I can cook Wendys and Subway-thats about it. I love the story you are so cute.

Unknown said...

I love Eric's response to the jam. That is so cute.

dishes and laundry said...

Aw, that's how I feel when I cook something as well as my Mom's. Good job! I love homemeade strawberry jam. Was it cooked or freezer jam?

Nora Mair said...

40 containers! Mom of the year right there!

Brandi said...

Wendy,
It was freezer jam. So good--and so easy. That's the only way to go!

David Crowther said...

my mother in law cannot smell and therefore does not cook very well - I don't see the connection but - David loves my cooking compared to hers. When we first were married i used to hate when she would invite us over for dinner - on the way I would stop and get fast food because I knew I would not be able to eat her food.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Brandi. Eric is so lucky to have you. Now--will you please make my jam for me next year?

emily salway said...

Congratulations Brandi!!! I have never made it as good as the year that Judy was out here helping me!