So, everyone is setting their blog to private these days. Jody had a good debate going on her blog, but I am still asking questions to myself. I think I have about 5 more friends/family wanting to go private, and I have about 8 that already are. This has been a constant internal debate with me since I started this thing. I just keep asking myself if I should be scared and if I should, why? The reason I blog is mostly personal and to keep a record, but I also love to keep in touch with friends and finding new friends, which is eliminated when someone goes private. My blog was set to private and NO ONE came to visit my blog anymore. It seemed pointless to me to even have a blog at that point. I keep going back and forth about it. I think I would rather just delete my blog and keep a record a different way than to make my blog private. I'm just thinking out loud. Please share what you are thinking. A majority of my friends still have open blogs, so I'm just curious what makes you avoid putting them private or if that is even a worry for you.
8 comments:
I guess my concern is the sickos out there - that can take your pictures and do who knows what with them..... And then my husband is really paranoid - which is why I am private - but even then I keep wondering if I should just delete the whole thing and not do it at all. But on the other hand - I love reading the blogs of my friends - and it makes me crazy when someone that I have enjoyed seeing their blog - goes private and I can't see it anymore. (and I don't know them well enough to ask to be included in their list) - but I still like reading it...... that's my thoughts....
I really just try not to worry about what "could" happen with my blog not being private. Not that I'm trying to be ignorant or naive, I just think that if someone out there really wanted to get my personal info or pictures of my kids, they could. Regardless of my blog being public or private, or even having a blog at all. Plus, I think it's such a great way to keep in touch with people.
I know, I'm totally conflicted both ways. Honestly, it's just been on my mind for a year now and I couldn't decide. But honestly, a couple times I just had a really bad feeling and knew that I should put mine private, but then I just ignored it and didn't do it. But then I was talking to my friend and she said she felt that same way and decided right then to go private. She just followed how she felt, so I decided I should do the same. LOng story, but honestly I am on the fence about it, but am at least going to try it for awhile and see what I think. I think it's totally a personal thing and either way, I completely understand! (how's that for a long answer) :)
Brandy, I am right there with you. If you have your blog set to private and you don't have a blogger account, you can't look on your blog anymore. I was debating whether or not to go private as well, but I decided to not deal with it. I have quite a few family and friends that read it that will not sign up for a blogger account. I would lose family members that read that never see us..
Brandy, you are totally right, ever since I changed my blog to private the traffic has diminished but that being said, T.J was told by his security people that anyone dealing with "bad people" should never have their personal information out on the web. Meaning, if anyone can goggle your name and find information on them and also their family, not good!!. Just something that T.J was told, maybe Eric might have been told the same thing with his new job. Not to scare you or anything, just what we have been told. Good luck!
I can see reasons why you might want to go private because the world is completely scary at times but at the same time I think a blog would be completely pointless on private so either don't blog at all or be public. I find for business it would be totally awful to go private. People want to know the kind of person I am before they go into business with me. I make sure not to blog about anything that I wouldn't want anyone getting a hold of but things like my kids name and age anyone could find out anywhere even just talking to me so I don't know why it would freak people out to have that basic information available because well it already is.
Hey Brandi- I think it all depends on the purpose of your blog...why you blog and what you blog about. I thought I would never go private, but then I was talking to my husband about it and he thought that once he becomes a lawyer, it would probably be best to take our blog private. That makes sense to me. We don't really want his clients or people he is prosecuting to have that much information about our lives. I love people reading my blog though. It makes me happy that others would even be interested in what I have to say. So, then I thought maybe I could start 2 blogs. A private one that contains pictures and more personal things that only family and friends could read, then a public one where I just write about what is on my mind...you know, all the silly things I write about. :) I really don't know. Anyway, I support you either way and I promise I will continue reading your blog whether it is public or private (as long as you invite me!)
Reading everyone else's concerns about being public, I was curious and googled my name to see how much info someone could get on me. That was a mistake! There's an model/ adult film star with my name! Hopefully people will be searching for her, or more interested in her than me, and I can go unnoticed!
Post a Comment