We had a very enjoyable Pioneer Day this year! On Sunday we (meaning I) made sugar cookies (the really good thick soft chewy kind) and decorated them with red white and blue frosting. I love baking so this was fun for me! I just don't understand why my husband and son don't want to help--they only want to eat them. But they were very yummy and we brought them to Farmington to share with the rest of the family.
On Monday, the 23rd, we went to the South Towne Expo Center to preview the floats for the Days of '47 parade in Salt Lake. Our Stake made one of the floats, so we wanted to go vote on it! My Dad, Georgie, and Brooke came with us. It was really fun, and FREE! I was impressed with the amount of money and time that goes into the floats. There were a few stand outs. Hayden's favorite was a float that had 3 cavemen looking people on it. You could ask them a yes or no question and they would answer you! We asked one of them if he ate little red headed boys and he shook his head, "Yes"! Then he put his hands up like he was going to get Hayden. It was cute! Hayden also got his face painted like Spider Man (note the face above!) and a dragon balloon.
After the Expo Center, we went home (Hayden had to ride with Grandpa!) and ate pizza. My Dad kept saying he had a "special Pioneer Day surprise". Then, he pulled out 3 2liters of coke and packages of Mentos. (Do you know where he's going with this?) It was hilarious! Better than fireworks. DO try this at home. Afterwards we were honored to have a fireworks show put on by Trevor and Jonah. They attatched their action figures to different fireworks to see what damage it would do. Quite entertaining, I must admit. After the fireworks we went back to my Dad's to sleep outside on the Trampoline (I brought a tent). It was fun talking with my Dad and siblings on the trampoline and reminiscing about old times and bad dreams! We had a good time. I love those times with family! Anyway the tent was HOT, and I did not sleep well. I might not participate in that tradition again next year.
After the Expo Center, we went home (Hayden had to ride with Grandpa!) and ate pizza. My Dad kept saying he had a "special Pioneer Day surprise". Then, he pulled out 3 2liters of coke and packages of Mentos. (Do you know where he's going with this?) It was hilarious! Better than fireworks. DO try this at home. Afterwards we were honored to have a fireworks show put on by Trevor and Jonah. They attatched their action figures to different fireworks to see what damage it would do. Quite entertaining, I must admit. After the fireworks we went back to my Dad's to sleep outside on the Trampoline (I brought a tent). It was fun talking with my Dad and siblings on the trampoline and reminiscing about old times and bad dreams! We had a good time. I love those times with family! Anyway the tent was HOT, and I did not sleep well. I might not participate in that tradition again next year.
In the morning, Georgie made us waffles and the best homemade syrup that I've ever had! I am always impressed with the extra mile she goes to make things a little better, or more enjoyable. I think Maya even ate a whole waffle! The rest of the day was spent going to the park, talking with my sisters, and sweating to death in the heat! That night we had a yummy barbeque at my Grandpa and Grandma Elliott's house. I swear, they cook the best food, and it looks like they cook for an army! (I guess there's so many of us, we could be an army!) And again, Georgie made the best potato salad that I've EVER HAD! Seriously! I have a lot to learn from her. My aunt Jean made a gingerbread pioneer cake and we sang "Come Come Ye Saints". It is nice to be around such a strong and united family. I always feel uplifted when we're together.
After dinner, we went to Lagoon and rode rides until the fireworks started. My brothers and sister came. I haven't spent much time with Rigby lately, so it was nice to have him with us. All of my brothers are so good with my kids. Hayden especially loves his uncles. He calls them "his best friends". That means so much to me! I'm glad that my brothers aren't too cool to hang out with their big nerdy sister. All in all we had a GREAT 24th as you can tell! I'll post pictures tomorrow when I have more time.






8 comments:
Thanks Brandi.. It was a way fun time. The Tramp was cool, not hot like the tent. I copied your picture of my new tradition. I hope you don't mind.
Love Dad!!!
Brandi-
I am so glad you found my blog and now we are able to stay in touch! Your family looks adorable and I love your blog! It sounds like you had an awesome 24th! I am so impressed with the cookies :).
Those cookies are way cute!
Brandi thank you for posting our 24th activies!!! It was way fun and I look forward to more events...sleep overs...well anything fun with the family included!!!
Yeah for the 24. You probably do know Jess she went to school with us. I love your pics!!! Any yes I am having tons of fun working with my blog. I could spend hours on here. Hope all is well, we will be home soon and we should hang out.
Hi Brandi - we've got a family reunion this coming week - and the coke/mento thing looks like a ton of fun - can it be any kind of coke - and what kind of mentos did your dad use - mint or fruit - does that matter? How high up in the air did it shoot? What a riot! Thanks for sharing! Julie B.
Between those cookies & your cake, you could open up your own shop! I found a cool blog link and wanted to pass it along because you and my sister have got me totally into this. Anyway, here is the link I have:
http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/02/hexadecimal-html-color-codes-and-names.html
You are hardly new at this - you rock at it. I changed my mom's blog to a 3 column blog. I did hers because she doesn't use it ever so we weren't worried if it didn't work - but it did. Her blog is www.marksharon.blogspot.com
Thank you again for all your help!
You are a little baker! Love the cookies. Where do you get your ideas? FUN FUN! We're sugar cookie crazies over here in the Siddoway home! Love them!
Your family is so cute and so much fun. Sniff... it makes me miss mine! Enjoy them while you can because you never know when life changes fast! Plus AZ gets ripped off. We don't even celebrate the 24th here.
Anyway, cute pictures and you know I have to try the soda pop thing now!!
Post a Comment