Friday, April 10, 2009

Luck

I have had a few people tell me how lucky I am that I have had good babies. They all have slept through the night by 8 weeks, they have good temperaments, they are happy and content and don't cry very often. Yep, I'm lucky. But often I think that it's not just luck.

I have some opinions when it comes to newborn babies and I feel like for the most part, my ideas work. When I was a new mom with Hayden, I had a lactation specialist tell me to just feed the baby whenever he wanted and to let him sleep whenever and wake up whenever. Let him determine his schedule. Thinking back to this, I am amazed that anyone would think this way. I wouldn't let a toddler determine when they slept or ate. Why should I let a newborn? I read a few books and took an approach that I felt like would work best and I put Hayden on a schedule. I fed him every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day (full feedings-making sure they got at least 3 oz. or nursed for 15-20 min.), KEPT him awake for an hour after I fed him, then I laid him down to fall asleep on his own. (I didn't let him cry it out. I would go back in and comfort him and give him his binkie, but ultimately he fell asleep on his own.) And low and behold, he was sleeping through the night (9 hours) by 6 weeks! I have done this with all three, and it has worked all three times! (not with Crew yet, but we're close!) This schedule makes it so that when they are awake, they aren't tired or hungry. They are content and happy. It totally works! I think that children thrive on a schedule, regardless of age. (the book the schedule is base on is called Babywise)

It takes some effort, for sure. Newborns want to sleep all the time, and they fall asleep when they are nursing and it's hard to wake them up. In my experience, when I have had enough sleep, I can handle a lot more than if I'm exhausted. I am more patient and I enjoy being a mother more. There's my two cents.

4 comments:

Lila said...

I agree completely. I loved the babywise books. Having a predictable schedule makes all the difference in the world. I struggled more with Madelyn but looking back I think it was mostly because of her sleep apnea and adenoid and tonsil and ear infections that created the the problems. For the most part she did great too. It is harder to keep to a schedule though the more kids you have. Let me know how you solve that one.

HeidiPorter said...

Hey you way to get all caught up. I'm still super behind and not trying and I only have one child. Wow! You are good! Is it just me or is there some like major 2nd child syndrome that makes us (2nd children) the problem child because seriously every 2nd child I know is just like me and Maya. Ha ha I love that little girl. You are an amazing mom Brandi. Love ya!

stressedkris said...

Careful to not speak too loud and knock on wood. You may end up with a Kimmie that defies all books and imagination. She does things that most people would never have thought of. I am really glad that things are working for you. The baby is beautiful. Best of wishes. Love,
Kris

Robyn said...

Love babywise--swear by it! Even with colicky Ian it at least gave me the sanity of knowing he was not crying because he was hungry. In my experience babies that learn to get continuious sleep are happy babies. Hope to see you at book club soon.